FIRST... WHAT IS XYLITOL?
- Xylitol promotes tooth and gum health by alkalizing the pH in the mouth, thus inhibiting the growth of bacteria.
- By alkalizing the entire body, it helps protect against viral, bacterial, and fungal growth.
- Interestingly enough, it also shows promise in reducing the rate of childhood ear infections.
- It appears Xylitol may improve bone density in aging adults.
- Xylitol is the only sugar which does not feed yeast, thus it promotes yeast/candida die-off.
- Xylitol has 40% fewer calories than regular sugar and a very low glycemic index.
Xylitol is TOXIC to canines… and by “toxic”, we must be clear – even in very small amounts it can be deadly! For those who say, "So is chocolate...", It is estimated that Xylitol is approximately 100 times more toxic.
The most common serious side-effects of ingestion are hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), seizures, and liver failure. Hypoglycemia can occur less than 15 minutes from the time of consumption, resulting in death if not treated immediately! Unfortunately, even prompt medical attention can be futile, as there is no known "cure", only supportive treatment.
- If your pet will have any access to your baked goods, gum, or sugar-free candies, then using Xylitol is not absolutely not worth the risk. There are wonderful alternative sweeteners, safe for both pets and humans.
- “If it kills dogs, how can it possibly be safe for me and my family?”
I am certain you have noticed by now that your 4-legger is very different from humans. This is not just on a cosmetic basis, but also internally as well: Your dog’s digestive system is that of a carnivore; you, on the other hand, are an omnivore. The digestive process is quite different between canines and humans, and each system has its strengths and weaknesses.
For instance, you could not (should not!) go out and eat a rotting squirrel carcass in the yard; as a carnivore, your dog absolutely could and would live to tell the tale.
In the instance a human consumes Xylitol, the body is unable to efficiently absorb the sugar alcohols, and the pancreas does not release a heavy load of insulin... This is one reason Xyltol helps regular blood sugar in humans.
Unfortunately, when dogs ingest Xylitol, their systems rapidly absorb the sugar alcohols, eliciting an immediate release of insulin, in turn causing a swift, life-threatening drop in blood sugar levels (hypoglycemia.)
SYMPTOMS OF XYLITOL POISONING
Hypoglycemia can occur within 15 minutes of ingestion, but may not present for up to 60 minutes, possibly longer. Symptoms may include:
Muscle weakness or lack of coordination
Lethargy, obvious fatigue
HAS YOUR DOG HAS EATEN XYLITOL?
Call your veterinarian or the Pet Poison Helpline IMMEDIATELY, then load your pet into the car and drive IMMEDIATELY (but safely!) to your vet clinic.