By the book 'beginner guide'! UPDATED!
- “THM Made Easy – A 'BUY the book' beginner guide!”
- “You don’t need nothin’ but the book!”
- “The ‘Robot Mode’ beginner guide to THM!”
As a successful Trim Healthy Mama and Admin on the official facebook groups, I am desperate (DESPERATE!) to share with you how easy THM really is – and following a methodical, one-foot-in-front-of-the-other, “robot mode” approach is the easiest way to achieve this success!
If you are:
- STRUGGLING to make sense of meal planning;
- FEARFUL you will fail because you don't yet understand the meal types;
- TERRIFIED you will eat the wrong food, too much food, or at the wrong time...
Take a deep breath, exhale, then relax – because you are over-thinking!
I have been where you are now, as have thousands of others. It is easy to “freeze up” when we feel overwhelmed – and that first step almost always feels like a “doozy”, but your dreams will never become reality unless you brave that first step!
Rest-assured, you do not need to fully “get” THM to begin a successful journey! In fact, you can learn THM simply by doing – We retain information more readily when utilizing all our senses!
Simplicity lends confidence to our step. No wild shenanigans. No fanfare.
- A healthy weight range is the “by-product” of better health.
It is common with most "diets" to place emphasis on weight-loss, but nourishing and healing your body must be your focal point when following THM. Your “Trim” will come with the “Healthy”... so do not get ahead of yourself!
- You must not allow yourself the "luxury" of defeat.
Sometimes, especially when we have really struggled with weight issues, we tend to "wallow" in self-pity and that won't get us anywhere good. Be prepared for the inevitable ups and downs on the scale - That is just the way of things. If the scale fluctuates in a direction you are not pleased with... “Suck it up, Cupcake.”
Don't rush out and binge on something that will take you farther from better health – because self-destruction is no longer what you are about. Most of the time, that upward scale fluctuation is just water-retention anyway, so getting worked up is just silly.
- Familiarity. Plan for success.
When I began my THM journey, I knew my meals had be enjoyable – because I would have given up quickly. Familiarity was key – I did not start out with meals containing weird or unusual ingredients; I started with “familiar” meals I knew I would enjoy... and desserts I knew I would have little difficulty mastering.
- Do NOT skim the books. Period.
Understanding “why” is vital to your life-long success – but you do not have to “master” all the book information before you can be successful; You will master it by being successful. Deep, huh?
- Accurate weigh-ins.
Women can experience hormonal shifts which cause weight fluctuations throughout each month. For some of us, this gain can be rather significant; I can gain 3 – 4 pounds during ovulation; It can then take up to 5 days for me to lose this weight.
Do NOT get hung up on what the scale says day-to-day or even week-to-week.
For consistent, accurate weigh-ins, use the same scale each weigh-in. Since weight can fluctuate several pounds from morning until evening, I weigh in the morning after I use restroom and before breakfast. *Weighing while "nekkid" will be most accurate... but you can weigh in your pj's, as long as you wear the same ones for each weigh-in.
- Take measurements!
You will build muscle while losing fat, so it is helpful to take measurements, so you can chart your loss more accurately. For instance: If you lose 3 pounds of fat, you might also gain 3 pounds of lean muscle. Weighing would not show a loss, but the measurements will prove your body is becoming trim and toned!
- Make a list of reasons why you want to make these changes!
Your dreams are important and will help you succeed! The list you make will be very personal, and will inspire you when you are feeling down; this same list will allow you to celebrate as you meet each new goal!
Take a look at some of the following examples:
- I want energy to play with my children.
- I would like to feed my family healthier foods.
- It would be nice to climb the stairs without gasping.
- I would love to cut back on my medications.
- I want to walk without my knees and back hurting.
- I would like to bend over and tie my shoes without feeling embarrassed.
- I would like to sit in a normal booth when dining out.
- It would be nice walk around the block with my neighbor.
- I want to go jogging.
- I would really like to buy clothing in smaller sizes.
- I want to hike to the top of our mountain.
- I would love to go horseback riding.
- It would be fun to go on a carnival ride.
- I would love to run a marathon.
You do not have to be ultra-organized, or spend days preparing your menu. Do not get caught up in complex recipes or silly distractions.
TODAY YOU WILL PLAN YOUR FIRST 3 DAYS
- Grab a pen and paper.
- Open your book (either the original "Trim Healthy Mama", or the "Trim Healthy Mama Cookbook") to the recipe section.
- Pick out 3 easy "S" breakfasts, 3 easy "FP" morning snacks, 3 easy "S" lunches, 3 easy "FP" afternoon snacks, 3 easy "S" dinners and 3 easy "S" or "FP" desserts. By "easy", I mean choose recipes which will be simple for you and contain familiar ingredients.
- Jot the recipe names and page numbers down, so you have instant access to everything tomorrow.
You may have noticed my emphasis on "EASY". This of utmost importance right now, as it leaves NO room for excuse. You barely have to work at this at all. You can't be hungry because you have plenty of food; “Emotional-eating" is covered as well, because you have something in your hands, or nearby, all day long.
- Look at your list and METHODICALLY move toward the kitchen.
- Open your book to the breakfast recipe you have chosen.
- Make your breakfast as well as your sipper.
- Enjoy... and take note of what time you are eating.
- In 2.5 - 4 hours, make your snack/meal, depending upon your particular schedule.
- Repeat for each snack and meal for the day.
Do this for (3) days, then you will change things up with some delicious, energizing meals! You will be ready for these wonderful, healthy carbs!
DAYS 4 & 5
- Using the same recipe method above, go through your recipe section again, this time choosing "E" meals and "FP" snacks for 1.5 - 2 days. Don't forget your sippers!
Don't think about it.
Don't stress about.
Don't make it complicated.
Don't put it off until next week...
Just. Do. It.
DAYS 6 - 10
- After you navigate your first 5 days, you may start over again, using the same or different meals. Variation will keep your body guessing, so do not get stuck in the "same old, same old" meal rut.
- If using the original Trim Healthy Mama, review chapter 11 for more ideas regarding implementation, because once you are comfortable, you can change things up further by “free-styling”; if using the new "Trim Healthy Mama Plan", chapter 8.
YOU WILL HAVE "OFF" MEALS
This is to be expected. You will simply move forward, with your next meal. This is not about one meal, one day, or one week. It is about making a healthy lifestyle change, for the better.
YOU ARE ON YOUR WAY TO A TRIMMER, HEALTHIER YOU
Take a few moments each day to reflect upon your goals... While this is not a race, you are “in it to WIN", and you will plan for success... and you will follow your plan.
Because... YOU ARE IN ROBOT MODE and you will not be swayed from your course.
Because my husband and I have lost over 80 pounds eating these and much, much more! Having, personally, spent well-over 20 years overweight or obese, Trim Healthy Mama turned my life around! It started with one, small, tentative decision: I bought the book, "Trim Healthy Mama"... and then I read it... and the rest is history!
Not a "mama"? That is ok! In spite of the name, this plan works for whole families!
My "Robot Mode", step-by-step guide - which you have read above - will walk you through the Trim Healthy Mama book with ease.
UPDATE! Since I started my THM Journey, great things have happened! THM has come out with a simplified book set - You now have a choice of the original 600+ page book, or the simplified Trim Healthy Mama Plan & Trim Healthy Mama Cookbook! The original book contains over 200 pages of recipes, and the new Cookbook contains over 350 new recipes! I love all 3 books!
What are you waiting for?!