RunAmok Mama's BEST, EVER. ZUCCHINI LASAGNA!
(This is a "S" meal, for Trim Healthy Mama, and can be easily doubled.)
Filled with gooey cheese, tasty meat sauce, and healthy zucchini, this satisfying Lasagna is a family favorite!
With this healthy spin, I doubt your family will be missing the noodles at all! In fact, if your family is anything like mine, they will be clamoring for you to make this again...
MEAT & SAUCE MIXTURE (2 steps)
1 1/2 pounds ground burger (or grass-fed beef, venison, elk)
1 1/2 tsp THM Himalayan Mineral Salt
1 Onion, medium-large, chopped (OR 2 TBS dried, minced onion)
3 Cloves fresh garlic, minced AND 1 TBS McCormick dried garlic slices
2 Basil leaves; fresh, minced
1 TBS Ground Black Pepper
1 14.5oz can Kirkland Organic Stewed tomatoes
1 6oz can Kirkland Organic Tomato paste (no sugar added)
1/2 cup water
1 TBS Italian Seasoning
3/4 tsp THM Sweet Blend
1 16oz container 2% Daisy Cottage cheese
8oz Frigo part-skim Ricotta cheese
4 cups shredded Mozzarella Cheese (retain 1.5 cups for topping)
3 cups sliced Zucchini, sliced very thin (used Cuisinart Smart Power Duet Processor)
Save a step, and mix in your skillet, like this.
1. Mix burger, salt, onion, garlic, basil leaves and pepper together. (I used a bowl here, to show the separation.) Usually, I just mix this directly into the skillet. See next photo.
DIRECTIONS: *Preheat oven to 350ºF
2. Brown the meat mixture on medium heat, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. *The onions will caramelize, and are more prone to burning -- so make sure to keep an eye on it while you are working on the remaining food preparations.
3. While browning meat, in a medium bowl mix tomato paste, water, stevia sweet blend, Italian seasoning and stewed tomatoes.
4. In a separate bowl, mix cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, egg and 2.5 cups mozzarella/cheddar blend. *Keep 1.5 cups separate to top Lasagna with. Set aside.
5. Rinse and slice your zucchinis.
A close-up, so you can see these are sliced very thinly -- allowing them to easily cook through.
*If you prefer thicker zucchini slices, you can slice to desired thickness (I recommend no thicker than 1/4"), then toss them in a pot with a bit of water. Boil until they are slightly tender, drain water, and use as described for rest of recipe.
6. Stir cooked burger into sauce mixture. Then add first layer of meat mixture to the lasagna pan.
7. Second layer = zucchini slices. You will want to make this layer thick enough to cover the sauce, and layer the zucchini evenly, so the slices cook through.
*If you use thicker slices, and have already partially cooked them, then you can toss them in a little more haphazardly, as they will definitely cook through.
8. Third layer is the cheese mixture. Again, make sure to cover the previous layer, while reserving enough for the next layer of cheese mixture.
9. Repeat all layers... and then top with the remaining 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheese. YUM!
10. Cook for approximately 50 minutes at 350ºF; then if the cheese isn't quite brown enough for your liking, you can place under the broiler for 1-2 minutes.
*WATCH CAREFULLY while it is under the broiler, or you will go from "Woohooo!" to "Waaaaaah!" within moments!
Precision-run households may find my title, "RunAmok Mama" to feel a tad alarming, so I'd like to offer a quick assurance that my life is more an exercise of controlled chaos than sheer pandemonium!