Oh yeah, Baby... LIFE. IS. GOOD!
A delicious crumble... S for Trim Healthy Mama!
Rhubarb is an old-time favorite of mine! So many younger mamas have never even cooked with rhubarb, I worry this will fall by the wayside!
Enter "RunAmok Mama's Rhu-Berry Crumble"! A THM-friendly dessert, packed with the traditional old-fashioned "tart-sweet" flavor, but without the unhealthy sugar-spike!
A timeless favorite, with a healthy twist!
4 cups fresh, sliced rhubarb (can use frozen, if you desire)
3 cups fresh, whole strawberries (can use frozen for this as well)
1 cup Honeyville Blanched Almond flour
3/4 cup Old Fashioned Oats
3/4 cup Bob's Red Mill Golden Flax meal
1/4 cup Swanson Organic Oat Bran Fiber (or oat fiber, if you prefer)
3 TBS Swanson Organic Coconut flour
3 TBS Swanson Premium Whey Protein Powder
1/4 cup homemade Sweet Blend, separated (*Or THM Sweet Blend)
4 tsp Bob's Red Mill Aluminum-free Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Swanson Ultra Himalayan Crystal Salt (or Kirkland Himalayan Pink Salt)
1/3 tsp THM Organic Stevia extract (or Kal Organic Stevia)
3/4 cup Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
Yield: 8-10 servings
Preheat oven to 375° F.
1. Melt coconut oil in a small bowl.
2. While coconut oil is heating, layer the rhubarb and strawberries evenly in an 8X11" or 9X13" baking dish.
3. Sprinkle with 1/8 cup of homemade Sweet Blend.
4. Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl, and add melted coconut oil, stirring until well-incorporated.
5. Spread the topping semi-evenly over the top of the fruit.
6. Place in oven and cook for 30 - 35 minutes, watching carefully the last 10 minutes or so, to prevent burning. *If using frozen rhubarb/strawberries, you may have to alter the timing just a bit.
Should be nicely browned... I was going to take a GORGEOUS picture of this, and had an unexpected phone call. I hollered at the kids to let it sit on the stove... came back to find HALF of the crumble GONE!
So, my dreams of a spectacular photo were dashed, and you are left with a not-so-appealing photo!
Tastes FANTASTIC though, so I bet you will forgive me!
*Some will see the oats and worry this is a crossover... but the oats are spread out over quite a few servings, so this works for S. ;)
Precision-run households may find my title, "RunAmok Mama" to feel a tad alarming, so I'd like to offer a quick assurance that my life is more an exercise of controlled chaos than sheer pandemonium!