A whole lotta "YUM"!
Served up with RunAmok Mama's Zesty Zucchini Spears!
Packed with flavor and coated with a crunchy rush of spice, these Spicy Parmesan Pork Spareribs are one of our family's favorite recipes - Requested OFTEN!
Served with Zesty Zucchini Spears, and accompanied by a side of stir-fry vegetables sautéed in butter, this makes for a wonderful "S" dinner for THMs - fit for any evening of the week!
INGREDIENTS FOR THE SPICY PARMESAN SPARERIBS & ZESTY ZUCCHINI SPEARS
2+ pounds of boneless pork spareribs
2 bags of pork rinds *
1/2 cup Frigo Grated Parmesan Cheese
2 eggs, preferably farm-fresh (not shown in picture)*
1 TBS McCormick Italian Seasoning
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp McCormick Curry Powder
3/4 tsp Trim Healthy Naturals High Mineral Salt (Himalayan Salt)
1/2 tsp Swanson Organic Cayenne Pepper
1/2 tsp Paprika
+ 4 Zucchini, sliced into spears (quartered, lengthwise, IF you are making the spears as shown.)
My original, "RunAmok Mama's Zesty Parmesan Shake 'N Bacon" coating...
* To avoid msg, maltodextrin and other unpleasantness, use REGULAR pork skins, which only contain the pork and salt. Add extra spice, such as cayenne and paprika to make up for the missing spices. I was in a hurry, so grabbed a spicy bag... but won't do that again.
**If you do not make Zucchini with the meal, you will have about half of the coating left-over; it can be stored in a container in the fridge for a meal later in the week.
***Also, if you do not make the Zucchini, 1 egg will suffice for the rest of the recipe.
5-6 Generous servings
Preheat oven to 350°F.
1. Pour pork rinds into a bowl and smash them to a fairly fine "crumb". (A glass jar or potato-masher will work well.)
2. Add all the spices and Parmesan cheese and mix well.
3. Prepare your cookie sheet (I line with foil for easy clean-up.)
4. Whisk your egg(s) in a shallow pan. *See note above regarding number of eggs to use.
5. Put your meat in the eggs and mix until coated.
6. Taking one piece at a time, roll in the pork-rind Parmesan mixture, and place in a pan -- leaving a bit of space between spareribs, so they will cook evenly.
7. Place in oven and set timer for 35 minutes.
8. If making Zesty Zucchini spears, finish preparing them now. *This requires cutting the very ends off and then slicing each smaller zucchini into 4 "spears".
9. Dredge spears in remaining egg. *These will be cooking nearly as long as the meat, so no worries worries about cross-contamination.
10. Coat them, one slice at a time, in the Parmesan Pork-rind coating and place on a separate, foil-lined cookie sheet.
11. Place into oven and check time. (Should take approximately 10 minutes to prepare the zucchini, so should be approximately 25 minutes left on the timer.)
12. About 10 minutes before timer is up, you can start your stir-fry vegetables on the stove-top, if you intend to cook them for a side.
13. When timer beeps, check the pork and zucchinis; you may need another 5-10 minutes.
The coating should be crunchy and well-browned. The pork should be cooked through and an internal temperature should read approximately 160°F.
Zucchini should be fairly firm (still hold its shape) yet tender.
Precision-run households may find my title, "RunAmok Mama" to feel a tad alarming, so I'd like to offer a quick assurance that my life is more an exercise of controlled chaos than sheer pandemonium!