Easy-Cheesy, low-carb GOODNESS...
We had a friend known, coast to coast, for her delicious meals - especially desserts. She and her husband were less-than-healthy, but he always had a big grin on his face as the fellows swooned over his wife's cooking... My beloved was certainly not the only husband who perked up at the mention of a fellowship dinner! She worked magic in the kitchen, that was clear!
I really did want to be a good cook, and after much time buried under piles of cookbooks, I was finally able to hold my own with a few tasty dishes! Soon, I was turning out some really great meals... but unfortunately, these were also contributing to weight-gain... I had started off my marriage "chunky", so this was not good!
Though I was placing great emphasis on "healthy" foods, the scale kept ticking upward. (At age 41, Trim Healthy Mama saved the day!)
Happily, after some tweaking to fit the THM plan, our family-favorites still taste incredible -- but now they are slimming, trimming and contributing to better health! Take a look at the meal below... This would fit as an "S" meal, for Trim Healthy Mama... and YUM is it ever Satisfying!
4 C cooked, cubed chicken breast
3/4 C Enchilada Sauce Mixture (below, retaining the rest for topping)
1 TBS Minced, dried Onion
1 TBS Minced, dried Garlic
1 TBS Chili Powder
1 TBS Cumin
3/4 - 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1/2 tsp Himalayan Pink Salt
Enchilada Sauce Mixture
1 28oz can red enchilada sauce, sugar-free (OR Mrs. Criddle has a great Enchilada Sauce recipe)
1/2 C Sour Cream
8oz Cream Cheese (or 1/3 less fat)
1/4 C Shredded Cheese (plus additional 2+ C to be used for topping)
1/4 - 1/3 C sliced jalapenos
Tortillas & Optional Sides
12 - 24 low-carb tortillas, depending upon size (I use low-carb for us, and corn for the kids)
2+ C Shredded Mixed Cheese (this is additional to the 1/4 C used in the sauce)
Sour Cream or Plain Greek Yogurt
Green Side Salad
Yield 8-10 generous servings
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. Place cooked, cubed chicken in a large mixing bowl with all seasonings and mix on low until the chicken is shredded. (Use discretion here... If your appliance isn't great, please shred your chicken with a fork.)
3. In a separate bowl, on low, mix enchilada sauce, sour cream, cream cheese, 1/4 cup shredded cheese (retaining the rest for the topping) and jalapenos together, until well incorporated.
4. Pour 3/4 C enchilada sauce mixture into chicken mixture and stir well, retaining the remainder for step 6.
5. In glass baking dishes, *arrange meat-filled tortillas, cover with remaining enchilada sauce (spread fairly evenly) and sprinkle generously with shredded cheese.
6. Bake for 25 minutes, checking the last few minutes to prevent burning. If cheese isn't browning nicely, you can turn on the broiler for a couple minutes, watching CAREFULLY.
7. Remove from oven and let sit for a few minutes, then serve with your favorite, low-carb options!
Holding an open tortilla in your hand, scoop meat mixture into middle of tortilla, as shown. Carefully roll tortilla, tucking the edge facing downward. Lay tortillas side by side, until pan is full, then continue on from step 5.
We used a combination of low-carb and regular corn tortillas here. The low-carb tortillas keep this meal in "S" for Trim Healthy Mama... The corn tortillas (if sprouted) could be used as a Crossover... Regular corn tortillas are used for the kids.
Corn tortillas do NOT fold easily when cold. They need to be slightly warmed before filling and folding, so I place a few on a plate and microwave for 10 - 15 seconds.
This photo shows me trying on a pair of jeans in a dressing room. These jeans were my previous size AND pulled up and over my current jeans.
If you are "on the fence" regarding Trim Healthy Mama, I do hope reading about my personal Trim Healthy Mama Journey will inspire you!